The Reverend Joseph Coulter (1 August 1871 - 16 March 1960) was a methodist minister for the United Church in Canada during the 20th century.
As of 2019 he has 55 descendants, all but five of which remain alive. Over 128 years after his birth, he still has two living children.
However, only one of these descendants has the power to carry on the Coulter name. That is, the Coulter name continues only if one man has a son: Dylan Coulter (born 1989, son of Laddie Coulter and grandson of Wes Coulter). This is due to the Galton-Watson process .
"Uncle Dick" (Richard Coulter) was Joseph Coulter’s brother (and therefore Ruth’s paternal uncle).
Marriage and family
He married Williamina Bessie McNaughton in Edmonton in 1911, a woman born 17 June 1890 and thus 18 years younger than him. At the time he was 40 and she was 22. They had seven children:
- Joseph Wesley "Wes" (16 May 1912 - 6 September 1997)
- Samuel Kenneth "Ken" (27 June 1913 - 2 September 1993) - no issue
- Hubert Vincent (19 May 1915 - 7 May 1943) KIA WW2
- Ruth Beatrice (2 July 1917 - 22 October 2016)
- Everett Malcolm (23 July 1920 - 20 February 1944) KIA WW2
- Elizabeth Elaine (born 27 June 1929)
- Ian Donald (born 27 September 1933)
Most of [Joseph's] children were actively involved in the church. I know they were not allowed to play cards on Sunday. Apparently Ian had a deck of cards hidden in a drawer and would sneak off and play solitaire but one Sunday when he went to play solitaire the deck of cards was missing.— Stephanie Luet, November 2018
Three of Joseph's sons served overseas, all of them as navigators for bomber crews for the Royal Canadian Air Force. Two of the three did not return home; Joseph lost two of his sons, Hugh and Everett, in World War II.
Joseph had 14 grandchildren, all from four of his seven children, born between 1944 and 1967.
Hubert and Everett were both teachers before they went to war. They were both killed during the war and had no issue.
Ken had scarlet fever as a child, and so was deaf. In 1971, at age 58, he married 47-year-old Marie Wartman. They had no children.
Wes had four children with Betty Caswell:
- Jeffery Halifax "Jeff" (born 13 May 1947)
- Hugh Malcolm (born 13 April 1951)
- Daphne Robin (born 22 July 1954)
- Lawrence Wesley "Laddie" (born 4 June 1957)
Ruth had three children by Bruce Newman:
- Sandra Hugheen (born 5 August 1944)
- Evelyn Elaine Louise "Lynn" (born 19 July 1946)
- Mary Ann (born 30 July 1950)
Sandra and Evelyn were named after Ruth's brothers Hugh and Everett, respectively, who had recently died in the war.
Elaine had four children by Phillip Luet:
- Stephanie Elaine (born 28 April 1956)
- Joel Phillip (born 6 June 1957)
- Karen Ruth (born 31 May 1959)
- Timothy Bruce "Tim" (born 8 May 1961)
Ian had three children with Phyllis Skitch:
- Stephen John (born 26 January 1961)
- Janis Lynn (born 2 June 1963)
- David Neil (born 26 November 1967)
Joseph has 23 great-grandchildren.
Joseph has 11 great-great grandchildren, since:
Ian and Wes's grandchildren have no issue.
Total descendants = 7 + 14 + 23 + 11 = 55, 50 still living.
Ruth is responsible for 23. Elaine, for 13. Ian, and Wes, for 8 each. Hugh, Everett, and Ken, just one (themselves). This adds up to 55 also, of course.
He died on 16 March 1960.
Canada, WWII Service Files of War Dead, 1939-1947 25114-25213 25115: Coulombe, Joseph Rosari - Coulter, Hubert Vincent