Evelyn Elaine Louise "Lynn" Newman, born19 July 1946 , is a retired physiotherapist and occupational therapist living as of 2019 in Kelowna, British Columbia.
Lynn's name "Evelyn" is a commemoration of Ruth's other brother Everett Coulter who died in WWII. Her older sister's middle name "Hugheen" commemmorated Ruth's brother Hubert Coulter who also died in WWII.
Marriage and family
Lynn married Mike Atherton and drove across Canada to settle in British Columbia with him. They were married on 18 June 1976. She decided to retain her maiden name, influenced by her best friend Judy (no relation to Lynn's sister Mary Ann Currie's best friend Judy Poirier). Judy told Lynn that she wasn't changing her name because she saw no reason to subordinate herself to her husband. Lynn followed suit. Furthermore, and although it was not the basis for her decision, giving the Newman name to her children meant that the Newman name was not extinguished despite her parents only having daughters.
From about 1994 to present as of 2019 she lives with her husband at 769 Young Road in Kelowna.
They had four children:
- Alexander Edward "Alex" Newman Atherton (born 8 September 1977)
- Vanessa Lynne Newman Atherton (born 21 February 1980)
- Andrew Michael Newman Atherton (born 23 October 1981)
- Stephen Charles Newman Atherton (born 4 January 1984)
Vanessa has one daughter, Brynn Susan Atherton Ellis born 6 January 2014.
Andrew married Monique Labelle (born 9 August 1977) on 28 July 2007 and has four children:
- Benjamin Andrew Atherton (born 28 May 2005)
- Holly Michelle Atherton (born 9 August 2008)
- Bridget Ruth Atherton (born 30 August 2010)
- Dominic Laurence Atherton (born 25 July 2012)
Alex married Samantha Gray on 19 August 2016. His family includes Samantha's two daughters, Uma and Layla.
Stephen has a longtime girlfriend, Vanessa (no relation to his sister) and has no issue.